The globe was really cheap and nasty looking, but I didn't mind, I got it purposely to have a go at altering.
I started by spraying the whole thing with primer paint, before using acrylics (white sponged all over the globe; the frame was painted brown all over, then teal lightly brushed randomly and gold sponged over).
I then decoupaged the butterflies on and gave it a couple of coats of Mod Podge.
If I were to make one again I think I would resize the butterfly images before printing so that they're smaller.
- Plastic globe
- Grey primer spray paint
- Acrylic paints (white, brown, teal and gold- or to be specific: white, burnt umber, a mix of viridian green for the teal and cerulean blue and indescent gold).
- Mod Podge
- Vintage butterfly graphics
- Sponges and foam brushes.
I had great fun making this and have learned from a few mistakes along the way. Because the globe was so cheap I'll probably get another one and try something different. I'll update this post with a picture of the unaltered globe when I get another one. I didn't think to take pics before or during!
Sorry for the glare of the sunlight in the mirror, I was too keen to get a picture taken to share to wait for a better time of day!