Thursday, 31 May 2012

Newcastle Subway Sign

There's a big trend for subway/Tube/trolley bus signs lately and I love them.  I'm a bit of a typophile, so this was something I HAD to make, with places in the Newcastle area.  There are quite a few tutorials around, some are really long and complex, starting with building a frame, covering it, using a Cricut or other die cutting machine to cut all the letters from vinyl, masking, painting.....why make things so complicated?  I can't remember which blog I saw the method I used on, but this was the easiest by far!



  • I Photoshopped the sign, printed it on two A4 sheets 
  • I glued phone book pages to a £1 30x40cm canvas (♥ Poundland ♥) for texture.
  • Painted the canvas black.
  • Mod Podged the two sheets to the canvas and trimmed the excess off the bottom.  Let it dry.
  • Sanded it lightly to distress it.
  • Gave it a light wash with watery brown acrylic paint.
  • Job done!
I realised after I Mod Podged it that I really should have stained the white writing before hand, maybe with an old teabag, but no matter.

(My photography skills suck!  I could not get a picture of this that wasn't blurry!)

Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Altered Globe (Butterflies and brass effect)

I finished making this altered globe tonight and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  I hope you can't tell, but this cost little more than £2 to make!  I got the globe from Poundland (have a guess how much it was!) as was a can of grey primer spray paint.  The rest was done with materials I already had (acrylic paints, Mod Podge and computer printouts from my favourite free image blogger, The Graphics Fairy).

The globe was really cheap and nasty looking, but I didn't mind, I got it purposely to have a go at altering.

I started by spraying the whole thing with primer paint, before using acrylics (white sponged all over the globe; the frame was painted brown all over, then teal lightly brushed randomly and gold sponged over).

I then decoupaged the butterflies on and gave it a couple of coats of Mod Podge.

If I were to make one again I think I would resize the butterfly images before printing so that they're smaller.

MATERIALS USED:

  • Plastic globe
  • Grey primer spray paint
  • Acrylic paints (white, brown, teal and gold- or to be specific: white, burnt umber, a mix of viridian green for the teal and cerulean blue and indescent gold).
  • Mod Podge
  • Vintage butterfly graphics
  • Sponges and foam brushes.
I had great fun making this and have learned from a few mistakes along the way.  Because the globe was so cheap I'll probably get another one and try something different.  I'll update this post with a picture of the unaltered globe when I get another one.  I didn't think to take pics before or during!

Sorry for the glare of the sunlight in the mirror, I was too keen to get a picture taken to share to wait for a better time of day!

Sunday, 27 May 2012

My first crocheted granny square

Yesterday I made a spur of the moment decision to go along to a knitting and crochet guild meeting after finding their details on the net.  I've wanted to learn to crochet to make little flowers for scrapping (and maybe a blanket!), but had no joy deciphering the instructions in a book or on the net.  I'm glad I went along, one of the ladies was incredibly helpful and kind enough to show me some basics, and by the end I had myself my first granny square.  It may not be perfectly formed, but I never thought I'd get my head round crocheting, so I'm chuffed to bits with it! :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...