Sunday, 11 December 2011

Photoshop - Mega Quick Soft Focus Effect

I thought I'd share a mega quick way of giving a photo a soft focus effect in Photoshop.  It's ideal for romantic, dreamlike or fantasy photos.  It's so quick that I'm almost not sure if I should be listing it as a tutorial!

Anyway, this tip makes use of Photoshop layer blends and gaussian blur.  Here's a before and after example:


Stock Photo by Qute at SXC.hu

There are just three simple steps....
  • Open your photo and duplicate the layer.
  • Add a gaussian blur to the top, copied layer (I used 10 pixel radius, but you can use more or less depending on how strong you want the effect...just experiment!).
  • Set the blurred layer blend to SCREEN and reduce the opacity.  I used 75% for this example.
Upper photo layer blend settings.


EXTRA TIPS:
  • Experiment with blur layer, try adding photo filters (sepia, warming, cooling, yellow etc).
  • There is no definitive setting to use with this technique as it really depends on the photo how it will turn out, so just try out different settings.
  • You can get some interesting effects by giving the blur layer one photo filter and the original layer a different photo filter.  (Sepia blur layer and yellow original works well).
  • Notice how the AFTER photo is much brighter?  You may want to adjust the brightness/contrast of your original.  It really depends on your photo.
I hope that little mini-tut will be useful.  If you have any Photoshop queries or particular photo or text effects you would like to achieve, just message me and I'll try to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...